June 7, 2022
Surprise!! Mitch and I’s family is growing!! We are welcoming home our dream puppy on Sunday, June 12th – stay tuned as we will be sharing his photo and name on instagram after we bring him home! We are seriously so excited and put so much time into researching everything we needed before bringing him home, so I hope my hours of research save you some time when buying stuff for your own golden doodle. I did create a YouTube video version of everything I share which can be found at the bottom of this post, so checkout that out and give me a thumbs up 🙂
I will also have a downloadable puppy checklist (FREE) at the bottom of the page as well! Now let’s get into the blog.
Main Puppy Supplies:
- Dog Crate – we are actually going to be borrowing this from a family member, but I have seen a lot of fancy ones out there that just seem unnecessary considering most people only use it during the puppy phase. I did link the one we are borrowing though, it worked really well for their cockapoo!
- Crate Bed – Once our puppy is potty trained we will put a crate bed in his crate to make him feel more comfortable in there. Until then, we will be using old towels
- Collar – I purchased an inexpensive, cute collar from target for while he is a puppy but he will out grow it in a bit
- Harness – Since our puppy is going to grow a lot at the beginning, we did not want to spend a lot for a small harness he would grow out of. This harness is breathable, high quality and inexpensive!
- Dog Dishes
- Dog Dish Mat/Pad
- Poop Bags – I did my research to find an earth friendly option (this was super important for me)
- Poop Bag Holder – I hate to say this…I only chose this one because it was cute
- Treats – you are going to want small, chewy treats for training your puppy (natural was a must)
- Toys – you will want a wide variety of textures, material and size for your new puppy.
Since golden doodles don’t shed, they do require regular haircuts which I do plan on eventually grooming him myself and learning all about the grooming process. Once I start actually groom him myself (and get more knowledgable), I will for sure share those products in a later blog!
- Self-Cleaning Slicker Brush – Slicker brushes are a must for all puppies!
- Comb – A must for your golden doodle to get down to the roots and prevent matting
- Matte Brush – we have not purchased this, but will if our pup ever needs this
- Tearless Puppy Shampoo – After a ton of research, I settled on the all natural Burts Bees!
- Detangler – an all natural detangler is a MUST for a mini golden doodle
- Ear Cleanser – golden doodles are known to get ear infections, every time your dog gets in water you should use an ear cleanser to help prevent this!
Optional Dog Things
- Air Tag – Instead of microchipping our puppy, we decided to spend the money and get an air tag with a collar holder for our little puppy!
- Air Tag Collar Holder
- Dog Door Bells – puppies seem to get potty trained quicker with this, so we plan to try!
- Retractable Dog Gate – we have NOT purchased one of these yet but when we move into our new place, this is going to be the first thing we buy so I wanted to share it!
- Dog Play Pen
All of the links in one place: